Urine Analysis: Part 23 – Urine 24 hours Collection With Instructions
Please provide the following written instructions to the patient for the collection of 24 hours of urine collection.
- For the proper evaluation of the required test on 24 hours urine sample, it is important that a complete and accurate collection is made.
- Drink fewer fluids during the collection time unless advised by the doctor.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Procedure to follow:
- Empty the urinary bladder when you get up in the morning.
- Note the time …………… and date ………..
- Discard this urine sample (the first urine sample at the time started the collection of the urine).
- Now onward collect the urine in a clean bottle or container.
- Collect all the urine passed in the day and night.
- Make the final collection of the urine at the same time.
- Note the time which will be the same hours ………….. and date …………..
- Empty your bladder in the container (last moment urine sample).
- Keep the urine in the refrigerator and if possible bring it to the laboratory as soon as possible after the collection.
- In some of the test, there may need to add the chemical like hydrochloric acid or boric acid.