Sleep and it's Important facts
Sleep is now a days problem of most of the people.That is because of our irregular habits.
We take too much Tea and Coffee.Also the use of soft beverages is very common.We spend lot of time on electronic gadgets.
Electronic gadgets also disturb our sleep cycle.mostly people are busy with their smart mobile phone and looking youtube or facebook.
I will tell you few facts about the sleep.
- REM is rapid eye movements.This is the last of five stages of the sleep.
- During REM , the muscles of legs and arms are not moving.If someone get up from this stage ,people says about dreams.
- Sleep hours.Most of the adults needs 8 hours sleep.As you get older the sleeping hours may be the same but may have difficulty to get sleep in one stretch.Older people wake more frequently and may stay wake longer.
- Good sleep habits are stay away from caffeine and alcohol.
- Going to bed when you are tired.
- When we sleep our brain also go to complete sleep.
- Sleep cycles are 5 in 5 stages and each cycle last for 90 minutes.So we should adjust our time of wake up in such away that our sleep cycle should not get disrurbed.Keep in mind cycle time of 90 minutes and you can sleep for 6 or more cycles.
- If you go to sleep at 10PM and then if you get up at 5.30 , you will be fresh because you have not disturbed sleep cycle.
- Sleep walkers There are people who get up during sleep and starts walking.Some people just sits up and starts talking while some people literally starts walking or driving or go out of the house.Important is to wake them up to avoid any injury or harm.
- Nap time This is good to have nap at after noon which should not be more than 30 to 60 minutes.
- Don’t try to go to deep sleep.
- Some People just with nap of 10 to 15 minutes are fresh when get up.
- Napping too long will you keep wake at night.
- Wake up at middle of night for bathroom.Don’t put on the light.Because there is hormone melatonin needed for sleep is disturbed by the light.
- Melatonin is produced in the dim light.Bright light blocks the melatonin.
- Melatonin release may be disturbed even by the computer ,laptop and phone lights.
- Dreams We don’t know why we dreams.But scientist believe that every body dreams 2 hours per night.
- Dreams are mostly during the REM.
TIPS for better sleep are :
- Avoid blue lights from your phone or laptops.Cover the blue lights in your rooms.
- Nap only not more than 20 minutes.Longer naps will disturb your sleep.
- Block the clock because that may disturb your sleep when you see that only few hours are left to go for job.
- Try leg pillow for the back pain.That will reduce the strain on the low back.
- Put your neck in the neutral position.If you wake tired after the sleep then that may be due to pillow.Your pillow should be just right size to support your neck in neutral position.
- Take care of the mattress that it may not be the source of allergens which may disturb your sleep.Airtight plastic cover works best.
- Reserve the bed only fro sleep and for sex for married couples.Don’t use the bed for watching TV ,or answering the phone calls.Bed room should be only for rest and relaxation.
- Stick to regular sleeping hours, including the weekends.This will put your body and brain on healthy sleep- wake cycle.
- Decrease the intake of caffeine.Caffeine in the morning or noon time is fine for most of the people.caffeine disturbs the deep stages of sleep.Even caffeine in small amount in chocolate decaffeinated coffee can impact your sleep.
- Exercise if done regularly help to improve your sleep quality. Take exercise at least 3 to 4 hours before your sleep time.
- Don’t eat heavy meal at bedtime.This will effect the good quality sleep.
- some people take light sank to induce the sleep.
- Finish snack at least one hour before going to bed.
- Drink at bed time.Alcohol is not good choice.But can take warm milk or tea rae better choice.
- Stop drinking fluid 2 hours before going to bed so that you may not need bathroom at time to disturb your sleep.
- Keep night light in the bathroom.
- Avoid too much noise at night like the dishwasher, or laundry machine or dogs or children.
- Smoking .Don’t smoke before going to bed because tobacco contains nicotine which is stimulant.
- Keep the pets away from the bed.Because they may disturb while you are sleeping.
- Free your mind from the worries at bed time.Read something to calm your mind.
- You can listen to music or take warm bath.
- Or you can say prayers for 10 minutes before going to bed.You can do any kind of ritual before to bed.
- Sleeping pills frequent use should be avoided.These are habit forming and these have side effects.
- Insomnia when the sleep problem persists for more than month.This may because of depression, acid reflux, arthritis, asthma and some medication.
- Depression is one of the most common cause of insomnia.
- Now this is the time when you should seek medical consultation.
(Modified from webMD)