Multan pakistan Culture (Part 3 )
Economy and occupations.
Multan is basically agriculture related city.There are commercial and industrial areas.
- it is connected with the rest of the country through roads , rail and air including the other industrial cities like Lahore, Karachi, Gujranwala, Quetta and Faisalabad.
- Industries include fertilizer, cosmetics, glass manufacturing, cotton production and processing, large textile units, flour mills, and oil mills..
- There is big plant of fertilizer made with collaboration of saudi Arabia.But now unlucky this is owned by the private trader of Multan.This was privatized and sold very cheap.Only the property of this factory is more than 100 acres which is worth in millions of dollars.
- This fertilizer factory was out of the town when built but now it is just inside the city and is source of pollution to the people.
- It is famous for its handicrafts (carpets & ceramics) and cottage industries.
- Multan is famous for camel skin handicrafts.There are few people lefts who are still making these camel skin handicrafts as table lamps, and decoration pieces.This industry really needs the government help to keep these people alive.Government should sponsored these people to carry on making these beautiful colorful table lamps and etc.These people majority live in the inside of city called “undroon shahr”.
- In agriculture Multan is famous in its Mangoes.These are the best considered to be in Pakistan and even I will say in the world.There are hundreds of different varieties of mangoes and the best known is Anwar Rathhor.This is interesting that the sweetness of mangoes depends upon the hot weather.Local Multani people do not mind hot weather for the sake of mangoes.
- Multan is also famous for the leather shoes which are called in the local language as Kanial jooti and Multani khussa.These were very cheap and made of pure leather.While people do embroidery on these shoes.
- Embroidery work specially for the ladies is very famous.This work is done by simple cotton thread and also by artificial material called Tilla Mostly this work is done in homes like cottage industry.
- Multan is also famous for Blue pottery.There are few places where there work is done.few shops are present in daulat gate area
- Furniture is also the speciality by Shisham. This shisham wood is seasoned and it gives very attractive look to the furniture.Most of the shops are present near chowk Fowara and few on bawalpur road.There is one colony ( Mohalla ) where majority of the people living are carpenter called Mohalla Tarkhana.
- Multan is also famous for Carpet industry.These carpets are exported abroad.One of the know shop is near Nishtar road known as Albokhara carpet.These are handmade carpet. and all type of variety is made like Iranian or afghani.
- Multan is an important agricultural centre. Wheat, cotton and sugarcane are the main crops grown in the district.
- Moreover, rice, maize, tobacco, bajra, moong (lentils), mash (lentils), masoor (lentils), oil seed such as rape, mustard and sunflower are also grown in minor quantities in the district.
- Mangoes, citrus, guavas and pomegranate are the main fruits grown in the Multan district.
- Dates, jaman, pears, Falsha and bananas are grown in minor quantities in the district Falsha are only grown in this area.This is very delicious fruit and its crop lost just for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Multan has plenty of livestock still growing at a positive rate, which has led to milk processing/dairy products units, ice cream manufacturing, animal and poultry feed, dairy farms.
( Continued may 22, 2013 )