Hepatitis B Virus – Part 5 – Hepatitis Be antigen (Hbe Ag), HBV
- It is done on the serum of the patient.
The significance of Hbe antigen:
- A positive HBe antigen test indicates acute or chronic HBV infection.
- It appears for 1 to 3 weeks and disappears in 6 to 8 weeks.
- HBe – antigen tells us about the status of Viral Hepatitis B infection and its infectivity.
- When the patient is positive for the Hbe antigen then this group is highly infective.
- Hbe antigen-positive patients may go into a chronic disease.
- While the hepatitis B profile, when Hbe antigen is positive leads to persistent infection by the HBV. It is shown in the following picture:
- Please see more details in the Viral hepatitis B markers or profile.