Health system Comparison of Pakistan And USA
- This may look very ridiculous to compare the health system of the most developed country USA and the third world country like Pakistan..
But comparison is very interesting because both the systems are not affordable by the poor population.
- American health system is so expensive that one can not think of it without insurance.
- Health Insurance is costly and most of the daily workers can not afford it.
- I can quote one example which I came across, was the handyman. Who was not able to get insurance nor was getting medicade.
- He was heart patient and went to emergency repeatedly. For that he got the bill of $32000.00
- This fellow has back pain and when he goes to hospital, they ask him for insurance and without insurance they were not doing his X-ray and CT scan. Personally he was not able to pay cash which was around $3000.00.
- Another example is one of my own patient.
- We went to emergency for pain abdomen. They kept for one hour and did CBC, LFT and CT scan abdomen.
- After workup they found no abnormality and send us home to consult family physician.
- Later on we got the bill of $7000.00
Pakistan health system
- This is also not affordable by the poor patient.
- If you go to government hospital, there the working conditions are very poor.
- If you can afford then you can get the best available medical services from the private setup.
- If you are civil service officer or influential person then also you will get VIP treatment.
- In Pakistan health insurance system is also not available.
- In Pakistan few setups like Agha Khan hospital Karachi, Shifa International hospital Islamabad, and Doctor’s hospital Lahore and few more know hospital can not be afforded by the 80 % of population.
So I think these two countries are not fit for the poor to get health services and both health systems can be compared as the same