- This condition is due to less production of tears to lubricate the eye.
- It is usually seen in the older age groups or females after the age of 30 years.
- In the ladies may be due to hormonal changes like decrease production of estrogen and testosterone.
- some of the drugs may give rise to dry eyes like antidepressants, antihistamines, and decongestants.
Signs and symptoms:
- may feel dryness, gritty and scratchy feeling.
- Some time may see red eyes and blurred vision.
Treatment : You can try natural tears ( artificial tears solution ) over the counter.
- If no improvement see the doctor for prescription eye drops.
- Or your doctor may advise eye inserts which release a lubricant.
- Also can try omega-3 supplement.
( Source Health journal april, 2013 )