Broccoli is called as the king of the crucifers. It is believed that it can:
- Protects against heart diseases.
- It will boost your immunity.
- Fight against the cancers.
Most people advise broccoli to prevent cancers. This power to fight the cancer is due to two compounds in it and these are:
- These substances counteract the agents which may lead to cancer and don’t give them time to harm the body.
- Indol-3-carbinol particularly is effective against breast cancer.
- It can lower the harmful level of estrogen hormone, which can promote tumor growth in hormone sensitive- cells, like the breast epithelial cells.
- Sulforaphane offers defense by boosting the production of cancer blocking enzymes.
- The role of Sulforaphane has been tried in the experimental animals. The results are proving its role in the animal group who were given Sulforaphane.
Some of the researchers put broccoli at the top of their lists of nutritional superstars. Broccoli along with other crucifers prevents the cancers of colon, breast, and prostate glands.
Broccoli also contains other nutrients that help to prevent heart disease and osteoporosis.
- 1/2 cup of chopped cooked broccoli contains 100% of the daily value for vitamin C. This antioxidant is proved to boost immunity.
- It also contains calcium 72 mg per cooked cup of broccoli. This is the best source for women.
- Broccoli is also rich in folates, which is necessary for normal tissue growth. Folates also protect against cancers, heart disease, and birth defects.
- Broccoli 1/2 cup contains 2 grams of fibers which are proved to prevent constipation, hemorrhoids, colon cancers, diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity, and heart disease.