Blood sample: – Part 2 – Blood sample which should be discarded, Unacceptable samples
- Whenever you find the following possibilities reject the sample and try to get another fresh sample.
Rejectable samples are:
- Hemolyzed sample.
- Serum with lipemic appearance.
- The sample for CBC is unsuitable if there are clots and is hemolyzed.
- If there are microclots, is not suitable for Cell counting, will give low count.
- If there is an insufficient blood sample.
- If the sample is not labeled.
- If there is a discrepancy between the sample and the request form.
- If the blood sample is insufficient in quantity.
- Poor handling of the sample when there is the effect of light.
- Sample collected at the wrong time.
- If there is the contamination of the sample.