- This test is done on the serum of the patient.
- The random sample can be taken.
- Sample stable at 4 C for 3 days
- Protect from the light because bilirubin is photo-oxidized.
- Total bilirubin = 0.3 to1.0 mg/dL or 5.1 to 17.0 mmol/L
- Direct bilirubin = 0.1 to 0.3 mg/dL or 1.0 to 5.1 mmol/L
- Indirect bilirubin (total bilirubin minus direct bilirubin level) = 0.2–0.7 mg/dL
- This in one of the liver function test.
- It is raised in the hepatic and post-hepatic type of jaundice.
- Clinically jaundice appears when the level of bilirubin is more than 2 mg/dl.
- Direct (or conjugated) bilirubin. The Direct bilirubin dissolves in water (water soluble) and is synthesized in the liver from indirect bilirubin.
Please see more details on bilirubin Total
Possible References Used
Back to tests