Posted Nov. 1, 2018
A study of hundreds of years of family tree suggests a man's gene play a major role in having a daughter or sons. Men inherited the tendency to have more sons or daughters from their parents (Newcastle university summary).
This was shown that men inherited a tendency to have more sons or more daughters from their parents. It means that a man with many brothers is more likely to have sons, while a man with many sisters is more likely to have daughters.
The researcher involved a study of 927 family trees containing information on 556,387 people from North America and Europe going back to 1600.
Men determine the sex of a baby depending upon whether their sperm carrying an X or Y chromosome. X chromosome of father combine with the mother X chromosomes and leads to a baby girl (XX) and a Y chromosome will combine with the mother X chromosome and make a boy (XY).
A gene consists of two parts, known as alleles, one inherited from each parent. Mr. Gellatly demonstrated that it is likely men carry two different alleles, which results in three possible combinations in a gene that controls the ratio of X and Y sperm:
- Men with the first combination known as mm, produce more Y sperm and have more sons.
- The second is known as mf, produce a roughly equal number of X and Y sperm, and have an approximately equal number of sons and daughters.
- The third, known as ff produces more X sperm and have more daughters.
For more details can see the link below.
Date = December 12, 2008
Source = Newcastle University
Posted Oct. 2, 2018
- Diet can influence microbe colonies not only in the gut but also in another body parts, such as the female breast in mammals. The influence is strong enough to create conditions that are anticancer.
- The breast cancer tumor contains a lower level of Lactobacillus bacteria compared with non-cancerous growth, suggesting that they could be " compared with noncancerous growth. That they could be a negative regulator of breast cancer.
- Breast cancer of women risk is known to vary with the diet. So healthy diet Mediterranean --which is rich in fruits, nuts, vegetables, fish, legumes and olive oil, reduces the risk and whereas the western diet rich in processed foods, and candy increases the risk.
Source = Medical news today by Catherine Paddock PhD
Posted Sept. 24, 2018
The time when to get the flu shot?
- This given in the early October and can give till December every year.
- From the flu shot, you will not get flue because the viruses are killed already. Since viruses are not living so no any chance to get an infection. If flu shot is given by nasal-spray version contains a crippled version of the live virus. But still no chances to get an infection. Your body takes 2 weeks to form the adequate number of antibodies. If you have an infection before or after just after getting the vaccination, then you may get an infection, but this not due to the vaccination and no need to blame the vaccine.
- Influenza is threatening to very young and elderly people. Or if the patients have underlying disease. CDC recommendation is that everybody should get the vaccination in flue season.
- More the people get flu shot, the less we get patients and fewer chances for kids and old people.
- Clinical symptoms:
- patients may get digestive distress and no doubt this is very rare. This is called stomach flu that may be due to a group of viruses and may lead to vomiting and diarrhea. This may be due to other viruses.
- Pregnant women can get the flu shot and is safe and for the baby for a few months. Babies at 6 months of age are eligible for vaccination. Flu shot to mother protect the babies after the birth and delivered via the breast milk.
- Flu spreads through the air droplets of saliva and washing the hands has no role. The droplets can land on you and get into nose, mouth, and eyes. You can get the infection by touching the contaminated surface because the virus can live outside to the body for 8 hours according to the CDC.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stand at least 6 feet away from the patient. It is considered that airborne droplet infection cannot travel further.
- Disinfect common areas in your home or workplace.
- Get vaccinated.
- This is true that the flu shot does not give 100% protection. This vaccination is effective about 60 to 90%. Because there are multiple strains of the viruses every year.
- If you get an infection after the shot then it means you got an infection with different strains and that will be less severe.
- Antibiotic doesn't work in case of viruses.
- Antiviral drugs may be helpful. Tamiflu is the best example and it will cut short course of the disease for 1 to 2 days if you take within 48 hours of the infection.
Source = Health.com
Posted Sept. 13, 2018
It is found that the security check trays are the most infectious.
- This was published in the journal BMC infectious diseases, that the parts which come frequently in contact with the passengers harbor the respiratory viruses including influenza virus.
- The most common place is the plastic trays used at the airport at the security checkpoint. Plastic trays for security check are commonly contaminated. These are recycled and are being touched by all the passengers that number may be several hundred per day. These plastic trays are nonporous and help the viruses and the bacteria to survive longer on their surface.
- Air travel has made easier for the infectious diseases to spread between countries and the continents. The most serious global viruses like the 2003 SARS epidemic and other is an H1Ni flu pandemic.
- There are small outbreaks like a cluster of 33 cases of Meases affected people in the UK and Netherland in 2014.
- 90 cases of surface sample collected and four air sample from various sites within Helsinki- Vantaa airport during e weeks period at height of Finland flu in the 2015-2016 season. These samples were tested for various respiratory viruses.
- 9/90 910%) cases were and 1/4 sample were positive for viruses. The most common virus was rhinovirus which causes the common cold. Also was found influenza virus A and as well as coronavirus and adenovirus. These are associated with mild to severe respiratory diseases.
- Interesting that nothing was positive in the bathrooms.
- Enteroviruses were not tested which can spread through the feco-oral route.
- Such studies to find the microbes at the airport were not done previously. Thes new studies and findings support for planning and controlling the spread of the serious diseases in the airport. This also provides new ideas for technical improvements in airport design and refurbishment.
- This was also recommended that increase the frequency of the cleaning of infectious sources like plastic trays. They also discourage the squeezing of the passengers at the service counter.
- There were suggestions to decrease the infections by improved public awareness of the hygiene. People can minimize infections by the hygienic hand washing and coughing into the handkerchief, tissues or sleeve at all times and especially at public places.
- These measures will decrease and prevent a pandemic and are most important at the public places like an airport that have a high volume of people traveling to and from many different parts of the world.
- You can bring your own disinfectant wipes.
- Center for the disease control and prevention's traveler's website gives the information for reducing the risk of infection like cold or flue.
Source = Susan Perry, 09/06/2018
Posted Sept. 10, 2018
The Mediterranean foods are delicious and full of nutrients.
It is easy to find this food in the grocery stores.
These foods have nutrients and antioxidants which leads to longevity and good health.
- For example, broccoli one cup has only 30 calories and it will fill your tummy and relieve you of the hunger. It means you will have a ton of hunger-curbing fibers and polyphenols which is an antioxidant and it will detoxify the cell-damaging chemicals in the body.
- Olive oil: When you use olive oil instead of other oils, a Spanish study found that Mediterranean foods cooked in virgin olive oil decrease the incidence of cardiovascular diseases even in the case of family history.
- Quinoa is the popular whole grain because it contains a good amount of proteins. Other whole grains like barley and brown rice help in losing the weight because of the few calories.
- Blueberries are considered super food because they take part in fighting everything from cancer to lowering the cholesterol.
- Dry fruits like nuts studies show that eating a handful several times a week can prevent the heart diseases. Almonds contain lots of monounsaturated fats and fibers. Replace peanut butter with almond butter.
- Fish like salmon is a good source of lean proteins. Eating fish at least twice a week provides a good dose of omega-3 fatty acid. This will lower the risk of heart disease. Omega-3 fights by reducing the inflammation and slowing the rate of atherosclerosis plaque formation.
- Beans the more you eat the more you will lose the weight. Other beans like black, kidney, white, and garbanzo beans, all of these provide fiber and protein. These will fill you up and provide muscle-building without any addition of fats.
- Eggs eating at breakfast will give good proteins and avoid hunger throughout the day. Eggs are full of Choline which prevents the memory loss. Choline helps to block the absorption of fats by the liver.
- Spinach is a good source of iron. Sweden researcher found that in the spinach there are nutrients which will increase the efficiency of mitochondria, these are the source of energy in the cell.
- Walnuts are full of tryptophan, an amino acid which is needed for the serotonin formation (this is mode elevator). Other researchers say that these will give mood stability and help to tolerate the stress.
- Asparagus is the best source of vegetable for folic acid and vitamin B, and these are needed for the mental alertness. Folates are needed for the synthesis of neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. Dr.David Mischoulon says that all of these are crucial for the mood.
Source = By Jacqueline Howard CNN
Updated September 6, 2018.
Posted Sept. 5, 2018
ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) is defined as the problem with the presence of:
- Not able to focus.
- They are overactive.
- They are not able to control behavior.
ADHD begins in the children and continue into the adult years.
ADHD is diagnosed more in the boys than in girls.
ADHD exact cause not known but this may due to:
- Gene abnormality.
- There may be factors at home.
- Or there may be social factors.
- It is found that the brain of the ADHD children is different than the other children without ADHD.
- Brain chemicals may be different.
The number of ADHD cases in the children has risen dramatically in the last two decades, going from 6 to 10%.
Research has discovered a host factors that could increase ADHD like:
- Preterm birth.
- Low birth weight.
- History smoking by the mother.
- History of drug abuse during pregnancy.
Source = 1.By Dennis Thompson (Health day reporter).
3. Medline plus.
Posted Aug. 30, 2018
There is French study published recently in the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA), stating that when one tries to lower the heart diseases will have a lower risk of dementia.
Dementia is a major health problem in the old people, its rate is declining in the USA and other developing countries in the recent decades.
There are many factors for the decline and these are better education, increased economic conditions, and greater use of anti-inflammatory disease.
Also, there is increased control of risk factors for cardiovascular diseases.
In the past, most research that has looked at the effects of cardiovascular disease-related factors on dementia has tended to focus on individual lifestyle and behavior.
A team researchers led by Cecilia Samieri, from France gave stress to the following seven good habits (evidence-based metrics by the American heart association).
- Avoid smoking.
- Have regular exercise.
- Keep body mass index (BMI) under 25.
- Control on the blood pressure under 120/80.
- Keeping cholesterol control under 200 mg/dL.
- Keeping control of the blood glucose level under 100 mg/dL.
- Eating fish twice a week.
- Fruits and vegetables at least three times a day.
The study was done on the older French adults with a mean age of 73.7 years. The score systems were developed on the bases of the above seven habits.
Optimal score = 2 points
Intermediate score = 1 point.
Poor score = 0 point.
Very few have a high score. They found that only 6.5% of them had optimal scores for at least five of the seven habits. 36.4% had an optimal score.
They found an association of the score with dementia.
It is never late to prevent the cardiovascular disease and dementia by keeping control of the above seven risk factors.
Source = Modified from MINNPOST by Susan Perry.